After ringing in the New Year with noise makers and a traditional meal of pork and sauerkraut, our vacation drew to a close and Art and I were driving back home.
11 January 2011
catching up
Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years simply flew by! I successfully cooked my first full Thanksgiving dinner for the in-laws and a friend who wasn't able to make it home. Having a proper kitchen table makes a huge difference.
The day after Thanksgiving, Art's brother and family joined us in NY. We zipped around NY in the subway, stopping at the tourist spots for our niece and nephew. In Battery park (pictured below) we stopped to play in the leaves.
Art and I took our niece and nephew to the Wax Museum while the "parents" went to get coffee and warm up.
The days leading up to Christmas were filled with parties, my birthday celebration, volunteering at a Birthday Party for Jesus at church, shopping, wrapping gifts, and lots and lots of baking. The day after Christmas, Art and I loaded up a rental car and headed west to Pittsburgh, doggie in tow. We spent a week with Art's family, taking a couple day detour to Ohio to visit my grandparents.
Back in Pittsburgh, I got a cupcake at my most favorite cupcake place, Dozen. Red velvet=delicious!
After ringing in the New Year with noise makers and a traditional meal of pork and sauerkraut, our vacation drew to a close and Art and I were driving back home.
For our car ride, I got two books-on-CD at the library: Skipping Christmas (which was made into the movie Christmas with the Kranks) and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (the only HP I could find at the library). Both were a wonderful way to pass the long hours in the car.
After ringing in the New Year with noise makers and a traditional meal of pork and sauerkraut, our vacation drew to a close and Art and I were driving back home.