26 October 2010

Disney Cruise: Part 2

After the Disney Cruise, my family spent a few days at Disney World. We arrived to our new hotel around noon. After checking in and leaving our luggage at the front desk, we hopped a Disney bus to the Magic Kingdom. The layout and the design of the park is so similar, yet different from Disneyland that I felt a little lost walking around. We headed first to Liberty Square to grab some lunch and visit the Hall of Presidents. Then we wandered through Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.
We stayed for the Main Street Electrical Parade, which was a fond memory from my childhood. While we waited on Main Street for the parade to start, we ate our obligatory ice cream cones.
The castle looked so pretty at night! After the parade, we watched the fireworks before catching the bus back to the hotel.The next day, we headed to Hollywood Studios (formerly MGM). We took a spin on the Great Movie Ride (and I still got scared at the Alien scene). At the Indiana Jones stunt show, Art got picked as an extra, something he's wanted to do for a long time.
Then on the back lot tour, Art and I both got picked to be extras in a movie demo called "Harbor Attack". I was the captain of a battleship and Art was the mechanic. Our ship was attacked, and Art got over 8000 gallons of water dumped on him. I was on the outer deck of the ship, and had "torpedoes" shot at me, which of course, made a big splash.
For lunch we stopped at the Prime Time Cafe, where each table looks like it was taken out of a 1950s kitchen, and they have TVs showing clips of old TV shows. I had meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans, and a cherry coke. Yum!
After lunch, we took the boat to Epcot (my favorite park!). We toured the World Showcase and listened to the Voices of Liberty before going to the American Experience show. In China, we met Mulan.
We even met Maleficent, a rare treat.My cousin Lindsey, who works at the parks, met up with us for the afternoon. It was really fun to see her again. We got a snack in Germany before watching the fireworks show.
Our final day at Disney was spent at the Animal Kingdom. Its somewhere between a zoo and a traditional Disney park. We adventured on Kilimanjaro Safaris, where you can see a variety of animals just like a real African safari. My dad, who has been to Africa, thought it was an amazingly accurate depiction of what you actually see on a safari.
We talked around to view the other animals. I was intrigued by these giant bats. Their bodies were as big as a cat and their wings with large and leathery.
Art and my dad braved the Mt. Everest rollercoaster, while my mom and I watched for them to zip down the big drop at the end. We finished out the day watching the parade and the live Lion King show.
That night we ate dinner at the African buffet restaurant at our hotel. The best part about our hotel was the animals that roamed outside the rooms and lobby. The most common animal we saw was these long-horned cattle, but we also saw zebras, giraffes, antelope, and ostriches.
We headed to the airport the next morning. I was sad to leave, but I am so glad to have had such a wonderful week of memories with my family.