We flew down to Orlando and caught Disney's Magical Express bus back to the Saratoga Springs Resort, where we hung out by the pool until my parents arrived that evening. Once my parents arrived, we all headed to Downtown Disney to meet up with my cousin Lindsey who is a character in the parks, her boyfriend, and friend. It was great catching up over dinner.

Sunday morning, we were picked up by a special shuttle and taken to Port Canaveral to board the ship. I was amazed at how big the cruise ships are! They truly are floating hotels.
Mickey Mouse greeted us at the port after we checked in. Once we boarded the ship, we headed up to Deck 9 to grab some lunch. It took me a little while to get used to not having to pay for anything. It seemed so strange to walk up, take all the food you want, and simple walk away to find a table. After lunch, my dad had a rehearsal, so my mom, Art and I headed to the spa to sign up for massages and facials. Then it was back to our rooms for the emergency drill before we headed back to the top deck for the Sail-away party.
They showed a preview of the events to come on board, which included this schnazzy photo of my dad!
Soon, we were sailing away into the sunset.
Our first night's entertainment was called "The Golden Mickeys"--which was basically a review of songs from various Disney movies under the guise of being an awards show with categories like "Best Romance" and "Most Heroic." After the show, it was time for dinner in Animator's Palate. The walls were covered with black and white animation sketches, and during dinner various pictures would become colored. Just before dessert, the waiters all left and returned with colored vests and the entire restaurant was bathed in color. Perfect Disney magic!
The next morning, my mom and I went to a pilates class, and we ended up being the only ones there! If only I could start every morning with a private pilates class with the fresh sea breezes blowing. After breakfast, we all headed to the spa. I had a massage and facial, followed by tea and pastries in the Rainforest--a warm, sauna-like room.The ship had docked that morning at Castaway Cay, Disney's private island in the Bahamas, so after donning our bathing suits, sunscreen, and hats, we disembarked the ship for lunch at the island's BBQ buffet. Art finally got his tropical drink in a coconut (even if the coconut was plastic).
The water was the perfect temperature--refreshing but not cold--and amazingly clear. You could even see fish swimming just feet from the shore. The rest of the afternoon was spent swimming and sunbathing.
The pirate ship from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies was docked at the island--a definite photo op.
On our way back to the ship, we met up with Captain Hook. He was kind enough to stop for a photo.
Monday's dinner was Pirate themed with treasure map style menus. During dinner, they waiters came out and started a conga line around the tables that ended at a limbo bar. The waiters asked the diners to join them, and we all got up to dance.Monday night ended with a Pirate dance party, fireworks, and Art singing karaoke in one of the adult-only lounges.
Tuesday was a day at sea. Art and I watched the documentary Waking Sleeping Beauty in the ship's movie theatre before meeting my parents for the seafood buffet lunch. That afternoon, Art and I played a few games of Ping Pong (He's much better than I am) followed by a pathetic attempt at shuffleboard. The evening's entertainment was another compilation of Disney characters and songs, this time around the plot of helping a little girl make her wish to fly come true. For dinner, we headed back to Parrot Cay (the same location as our Pirate dinner) for a Caribbean themed meal. Since everything was included, I ended up eating 3-4 courses every night: appetizers, soup, salads, entrees, and dessert. Thankfully, the portions were not huge, so I could enjoy each course.
After dinner, my dad gave an introduction to a special screening of Beauty and the Beast out on the big screen on the pool deck. Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney movie after Sleeping Beauty. It always puts me in a good mood.
Wednesday found us back at Castaway Cay. We headed out early and walked across the island to the adult beach. My mom and I tried yoga on the beach (not so easy, considering the sand is constantly moving beneath you). My parents went on a bike ride while Art and I took another dip in the ocean. After lunch, we went back to the family beach where we took turns snorkeling. I should have gone out farther, where we heard there were hidden Mickeys, but I am not a strong swimmer and the water got deep quickly.
That evening, Susan Egan, who was the voice of Meg in Hercules and the original Belle on Broadway, gave a special cabaret style concert. She sang a fun mix of showtunes and Disney songs--my favorites!(This is a shot of the beautiful lobby)
For our last dinner, my parents had a special dinner at Palo, an adult only restaurants, with my dad's colleagues, while Art and I went to our scheduled restaurant, Triton's. Sadly, after dinner, we had to pack our bags in preparation for our arrival back in Florida Thursday morning.
Overall, I LOVED the cruise, and I hope I can go on another cruise in the not-too-distant future.Our waiters Francisco and Sutat (pictured below) were amazing. They rotated to each restaurant with us each night, so we got to know them pretty well. I wish they could follow me to every NY restaurant that we visit, because I've never had better service.
I also loved the towel animals, turndown service and chocolates on our bed each night.
Thursday morning we rose early and breakfasted at Triton's where we saw our waiters for one last time before disembarking for good.Thankfully, I still had 3 more days of Disney World to look forward to, because I don't think I could have flown back to NY that day without shedding a little tear.
You'll have to come back to read about Disney World in part 2, because it has taken me way too long to write part 1. If you stuck with me for this long, there are more photos in my shutterfly album, just use the link at the right.