05 June 2008

Strawberries

Strawberries, and only strawberries, could now be thought or spoken of. The best fruit in England--everybody's favourite--always wholesome...Delightful to gather for one's self--the only way of really enjoying them...Delicious fruit...
--Emma, Jane Austen
Today I bought some fresh strawberries at a farmer's market. They were red and fragrant and too tempting to pass up. While they were delicious, much better than those from the grocery, they still didn't quite match up to the strawberries I had in England three summers ago.

Speaking of England, I recently finished re-reading Emma again. I've actually been reading quite a bit lately, and in the last month have devoured nearly three books. After Emma, I ventured to the American Mid-west in Peace Like a River. It told the tale of an asthmatic boy who ventures West with his father and sister in search of his outlaw older brother. The story was so engaging I finished the book in about 4 days. I just couldn't put it down. I am currently about to finish A Room With a View, taking me back to my love of all things English. Lacking the wit of a Jane Austen work (perhaps I set my expectations too high), I still find the story of young Lucy growing up in Edwardian England engaging.
I enjoy having more time to read something other than plays and school books. There are so many classic books and authors I have yet to explore. I hope to delve into an Edith Wharton book soon, maybe a classic Western by Louis L'amour, the Chronicles of Narnia, or even some Dickens (which I am ashamed to say, have never read).
Reading about far off places and times stirs in me the desire to travel. It also doesn't help that I was sent to the bookstore to buy French travel guides for my boss, who will be making a business trip to Provence soon. Someday I'd like to go to France--Paris, Provence, and Monte Carlo (which technically is in the Principality of Monaco). Perhaps someday, but for now I shall have to settle with a book and my imagination to take to places.

Has anyone read any good books lately?