07 June 2009

Belmont & Barbershop

I had such a terrific weekend! My friend Alexandria invited me to the Belmont Stakes out on Long Island on Saturday. It is a horse race that, along with the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness, comprises the Triple Crown. Thankfully, I found a great sun hat on sale before Saturday. We ate a picnic lunch and enjoyed cheering for the horses (even though I didn't place any bets) and general people watching.
Afterwards, I hopped the train and headed back into Manhattan for my friend Kevin's accapella choir and barbershop (yes, barbershop quartet) concert. Before the show, my friend Hanna and I met up for dinner in the Village and we were joined by our pal (another) Kevin for the show. The three of us were pleasantly surprised by the voice that came out of the 1st Kevin when he sang with his quartet. It was not what you'd expect when you talk to him on a day to day basis. After the show, the 2 Kevins, Hanna, and I joined the choir and their guests at a local BBQ restaurant. We had a good debate over which Disney characters we were/wanted to be. The best part was that I got an amazing piece of cornbread for only $.50! I don't think I've ever seen food that cheap on any menu in NY.