I am sure most women have that one male celebrity that they find incredibly good-looking. For some it could be Brad Pitt or Patrick Dempsey or Colin Firth. For me, it's Russian baritone Dmitri Hvorostovsky. Not only is he dashingly handsome, but he has an amazing voice. And while most women could only dream of an encounter with their celebrity crush, I happen to work at the same place were Mr. Hvorostovsky does.For the last couple of weeks, I knew he was in the building, rehearsing Il Trovatore. Alas, days passed and our paths didn't cross. Until last Thursday.
I had scanned the daily rehearsal schedule that morning as I pinned it up on the office bulletin board and saw he was due on stage just after 11am. About that time, I had to drop and envelope off at the receptionist desk. Before heading back upstairs to my office, I wandered backstage to watch the rehearsal. A few minutes later, I saw HIM, walking towards where I stood. My heart started beating faster and before I knew it, he passed me and said in his quiet, Russian-accent "Hello."
I managed to squeak out a "Hi" before I felt like I was going to melt into the floor. I watched him walk out onto the stage and then skipped gleefully back to my office. Once there, I immediately messaged my work friend to tell her my good news (She knew I had been on the lookout for him).
Working in a place with operatic celebrities can be a funny thing, because you never know who might pass you in the halls or eat lunch next to you in the cafeteria.