11 April 2008

Visits Here and There

April has turned into quite a busy month! So far, I've been to California and back, and work is hoppin' with two new productions opening soon.
Unbeknownst to my father, my aunt, uncle, grandparents, and myself flew out to LA to celebrate his 50th birthday. I was so thankful to have the time off to make the trip, and it was delightful spending time with my family. I appreciate them and the time we have together even more now that I am older and the time we have together is limited. California was so warm and spring was in full bloom. My grandpa taught me how to identify birds using a field guide to help, and my aunt instructed me on the best houseplants on a trip to the nursery. I'll be glad to get out of the city and see birds other than pigeons and have a yard where I can plant flowers. I made my new favorite chocolate cake, recipe courtesy of Barefoot Contessa, which was a smash hit at the party.
I was sad to leave Sunday, but also excited, because Lindsay came back to New York with me. Back in junior high, we daydreamed about going to the Big Apple together, and 10 years later, our dreams became a reality. We had a fabulous four days together seeing all the sites. We shopped at Macy's, took in the view from the top of the Empire State Building, admired the art at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and sang along with Rent. It was fabulous spending time with a dear friend.
One thing I love about my job is that I get to be around opera superstars. The other day, I passed by an exceptional baritone, whom Art particularly admires and whom I think is rather dashing, several times. He's basically the operatic equal of a Hollywood star like George Clooney. I was giddy the rest of the day!