Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity. ~Voltaire
Living in NY almost requires you to become a foodie. We've had the chance to try many amazing restaurants, and I have a list of ones still to visit. Not to mention, Food Network is my default TV channel, and I am addicted to Top Chef.
But when Art and I saw Julie and Julia this weekend, it made me realize something about myself. I am often afraid to try new and unfamiliar recipes. I worry they'll take to long to prep or cook in our tiny kitchen, or that they have too many steps. Therefore, I end up cooking the same tried-and-true recipes, despite the variety of wonderful cookbooks I have.
So I decided to take Julia Child's advice to "don't be afraid" in the kitchen. And if I burn a roast chicken or turn veggies into mush, so be it. I'll learn for the next time. My first challenge will be to cook some authentic Mexican, not just burritos and tacos (not that there is anything wrong with them). I requested one of Rick Bayless' cookbooks from the library, and once it comes, I am going to give one of his recipes a try. Perhaps something in a mole sauce. (For those who don't know, Rick Bayless is the king of Mexican cuisine in America. He owns a few restaurants in Chicago and competed on Top Chef Masters.)
Stay tuned for recipe updates soon!