10 March 2008

Fragonard and Babka

Despite all the negatives about urban life, there are a few things that I do love about living in NYC. One of those being all the amazing museums this city has to offer. Last week Art and I ventured to the Frick Collection . The Frick family made their fortune with Carnegie Steel back in the day. They built a large Victorian house preserved with original period furnishings in Pittsburgh which I've had the privilege of touring. Now their Upper East Side mansion is converted into a gallery showcasing much of their extensive art collection. One room is devoted to the French Rococo painter Fragonard, who is one of my favorites. I was amazed by the size of the paintings, which stretched nearly from floor to ceiling. I could have stayed for hours in that room admiring the details--the subtle changes in the leaves and clouds, the texture of the satin dresses and breeches, and the facial expressions on the young lovers.
The rest of the gallery included paintings ranging from Medieval religious art to 18th Century portraits by Gainsboro to 19th Century impressionists like Degas and Monet. I always leave musuems feeling insprired, but I am unsure as to what to do with my inspiration. I do have a few blank sheets of watercolour paper waiting for me when a project idea comes along.
After the museum, we hopped a crosstown bus and ended up at Zabar's, a specialty market. Another thing I have grown to love about New York is the unique food you can find. One of my new found food loves in Chocolate Babka. I was first introduced to this Eastern European creation through an episode of Seinfeld, and stumbled upon the actual thing at Dean and Deluca in SoHo a month or so ago and just had to try it. Babka is more like a bread than a cake, with swirls of chocolate laced through the flaky dough. It was absolutely delicious, and the entire thing was gone within two days. Knowing that Zabar's sold the sweet treat, Art and I stopped to satisfy our craving. Again, the loaf was gone is less than three days. There is also Cinnamon Babka, which though it is the "lesser babka", sounds worth a try next time.